If you’ll recall when I first started this blog, I was knee deep in meal prep that revolved around chicken. But as it turns out, I SUCK at baking chicken. No matter what I do, it’s too dry and tough! It got so bad that I quit cooking chicken (and most protein) all together. I just couldn’t wrap my mind around spending money on food that was most definitely going in the trash. Especially when you’re on a budget, you know?
But I’ve been following Simply Taralynn for years now, and she always make the most amazing protein. No matter if it’s chicken, fish, beef, whatever the case may be, it always looks delicious. My mom gave me some salmon to bake, but I hate plain salmon. Perfect timing: Taralynn created this recipe, and it inspired me to finally bake the salmon! I literally inhaled this salmon because it was so perfect! All credit definitely goes to her, and you should try this recipe!
Best Salmon Ever
- 1 lb salmon (I did frozen)
- 1 small/half a medium citrus of your choice (lemon, lime, or orange)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce/liquid aminos
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp oil (I chose avocado)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (although I like my meat very garlic-y)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper (trust me, it tastes better fresh)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme (optional, but it definitely gives a fuller flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl and rub both sides of your salmon with it all
- Mix the oil, soy sauce, honey, and squeezed citrus juice in a small bowl
- Place the meat in some foil on a baking sheet (optional: let it marinate in tupperware all day for extra flavor and tenderness!) and pour the sauce over
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes (I took the meat out to baste one or two times just to make sure it was good and covered)
Note: Taralynn’s original recipe calls for grilling the meat, but I don’t currently have one, so I baked it. I can’t wait to try this grilled!
For that particular meal, I decided to cook some frozen green beans in avocado oil with everything-but-the-bagel seasoning. I also poured a little of the leftover sauce on them for extra flavor.
Honestly, this is the recipe I’ve needed for so long to get me back to eating protein. The sauce is so flavorful, and baking it at that right temperature makes the salmon fall off the fork! I’m currently saving my money to buy a cheap grill and I can’t wait to do lots of grilling in my new house this summer (deets coming soon)!
- What are your favorite things to grill in the summer?
- Have you ever considered doing a pescatarian diet?
- Are you excited for summer??